Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Sales and Self Promotion

Sales and Self Promotion

I am a jet aircraft sales person and have a internet home based business as well. Recently, I have had people call me who want to break into the aviation business because, as most people believe, it can generate a very substantial income. My response is always, "Call the president of the company(who I work for) and discuss it with him. If he likes you, he'll hire you. That's how I did it. Not surprisingly, none of the people I have given this advice to have become my associates. The reason why these folks haven't been able to break into the business, is because they haven't learned the art of "self promotion."

I have become very successful at selling myself to a potential employer. Part of my knowledge as come from the many, many interviews I have endured through the years. Due to these interviews, I honed my interviewing skills and developed an ability to "ace" most interviews. Owning a retail business for 8 years and employing people also gave me insight into what it's like to sit behind the desk during an interview. And lastly, I am an entrepreneur and sales person at heart and those qualities come through during any interview. Because I make them come through. Here are a few points to ponder before your next interview.

1. Bragging Rights: Promoting yourself during an interview is like being given the right to brag. The key is to brag using facts, figures and good story telling abilities. I have a true story I tell which always gets a laugh or comment. It's a story about how I gained a meeting from a particularly difficult client using some creativity to get his attention. Here's how it goes. I was an advertising sales person at the time, calling on local retailers. One potential client was a locally owned furniture store who wouldn't grant me a meeting when I called on the phone. I decided to persist in person on a weekly basis. Every week, I stopped in the store, handed my business card to a sales person and politely asked to speak with the owner.

Every week, the sales person would disappear into the back offices and return to inform me that the owner was too busy to see me. It became a game to me, even though his sales people started rolling their eyes as I walked through the door. Obviously this guy needed me to bring him something he thought was valuable, and so far I hadn't produced it. Here's what finally made him give me a few minutes of his time. I bought a gold crown at the local costume shop, wrote a note on my business card that read "Let me make you the "King of Furniture" and tucked the card into the crown. Tacky? Absolutely, but it worked! He came out of his office laughing! Find a true story to tell which demonstrates your persistence, or some outstanding ability.

2. An Interview is a Two Way Street: Walk into an interview with the belief that you are interviewing the company and your potential boss as much he/she is interviewing you. You don't want to land a position with a company or work for someone you didn't like in the interview. This self confidence will be evident to your interviewer. Prepare a list of questions several days prior to the interview, revisit those questions several times to revamp them. You'll appear organized, intelligent and confident by having good questions to ask.

3. What Can You Do For Them: The worst mistake to make during an interview is to ask about the pay plan, benefits, vacation or sick day policies. These are only appropriate questions during a second or third interview. During the first interview you need to stress what you can do for the company, not what can the company do for you. In essence, the company has a need and it's your job to make sure the interviewer believes you can fill that need. Listen carefully, during the interview, you'll be told what the company's needs are. Have several stories to "pull out of your hat" that fit each need as the interview progresses. Rehearse each story, prior to the meeting, doing so will make you more confident and smooth.

4. Ask About Their Hiring Process: Upon winding up the first meeting, always ask what the next step will be. This shows you are thinking ahead, feel you are a good fit for the position and that you are ambitious. Remember, every thing you say and do in front of the interviewer gives him/her more insight into who you are. Your parting comments should be something to this effect " Mr. Interviewer, I feel I could be a true asset to this company and would appreciate the opportunity to become a member of your team".

I'll See You At The Top!

Sheri Swartz

No comments:

Post a Comment